Thanks for visiting our instructions page and we hope you’re ready to have some fun!!
Please see immediately below for the 25 point activity instructions and further below for explanations on others. Email the PTO with any questions!
Rube Goldberg Challenge Instructions!
- Minimum of 5 total steps to complete the task of the contraption
- 3 different elements (choices are domino effect, simple ramp, pulley, release tool, tunnel (i.e. closed tube))
- Video submissions must include a full successful attempt and the person submitting the video must appear in the video as well.
- Only get points if can get the contraption to fully complete the task
- DISCLAIMER – any 8th grader (or sibling of an 8th grader) MUST create a NEW contraption and CANNOT simply re-use their project from Mrs. McLaughlin’s science class!!
Here are some helpful links/videos for explanations and ideas:
- Video of Mrs. McLaughlin explaining the different elements of a Rube Goldberg contraption and the task it is completing (i.e. turning on a light switch)
- Video of Mrs. McLaughlin’s final run from the sample Rube Goldberg contraption used for the 8th graders class project (FYI – that run would NOT actually count for field day points as she had to “help” the final stages by kicking the broom!!)
- Basic instruction page about how to make a Rube Goldberg contraption
Cooking / Baking Challenge!
Have a favorite baking or cooking show?? Take your best shot at recreating an item, or come up with your own culinary masterpiece! Post your creation on your team’s Padlet as well as a family member’s reaction to trying the delicious treat/meal! Could be your own reaction, too! 🙂
- The Ultimate List of Recipe Substitutions
- The Ultimate Guide to Baking Substitutions
- Baking Basics: Common Baking Substitutions
Team Collaboration Song / Dance Video
Ever seen one of those dance compilations with lots of people doing the same dance but spliced together to sync with the music?? Grab friends from your team and put together a dance video and submit onto your Padlet – you can start planning and recording this activity as soon as you all are signed up and then be ready to post it to the Padlet on Field Day!
Other Activities –
Style points can be awarded at the discretion of the PTO at ANY TIME so get your game on!! Let’s have some fun!! #MCSSchoolSpirit
|How long can you dribble a basketball?||5||Grab a basketball and dribble as long as you can! Too easy? Let’s see your moves – style points awarded here! Both hands, through your legs, spinning around… let’s see what you can do!!|
|How many hats can you balance?||5||Prepare a variety of hats. Count how many hats you can stack before they fall!|
|How many basketball shots can you make in a row?||5||How many shots can you make in a row? From any distance! Bragging rights up for grabs!|
|Ball Hug Race||5||Find a ball (smaller for younger students). Each student will place a ball between his/her knees and race to the opposite line and back again (20 ft out).|
|Balance a book||5||How far can you walk balancing a book on your head?|
|Shoe kick||5||Loosen one shoe so your toes still are in it. From a starting line, kick that shoe into the air. Students might take a running start, or not. How far can you go?!|
|How long can you hula hoop?||5||Grab your hula hoop and swing those hips!|
|How far can you toss a football?||5||Grab a football and give it a throw!|
|How far can you toss a Frisbee?||5||Grab a Frisbee and give it your best toss!|
|How long can you jump rope?||5||Forwards, backwards, double dutch! Show off your moves!|
|How fast can you make a smiley face out of Play-Doh?||5||Get out the Play-Doh ahead of time. Have someone ready to time you. On go, make a smiley face as fast as you can.|
|Different accents||5||Record yourself saying, “Monsignor Clarke School is the best!” with your best international accent!|
|Egg & Spoon Race||10||Get a spoon and an egg or marshmallow. Ask an adult to measure 20 ft and run back and forth. Item drops? Restart!|
|Cup stack||10||How high can you stack plastic cups (any configuration)?|
|No Thumbs||10||Tape your thumbs to the side of your hands and try to tie your shoelaces.|
|Do it with their feet||10||Draw a cross with a crayon or marker between your toes! Bragging rights if you can color it in!|
|House of cards||10||Try to get three levels – 2 stories and a roof! Post a pic of your best try!|
|Build a boat out of Legos!||10||Grab your Legos and make your best boat creation! Needs to be at least 6 inches in length!|
|How fast can you fold (well) 10 pieces of laundry?||10||Get Mom or Dad’s approval on a job well done!|
|How long can you stay in a handstand?||10||No broken bones, please!|
|Clean the bathroom||20||Get Mom or Dad’s approval on a job well done!|
|Rube Goldberg challenge||25||See above for detailed instructions!|
|Cooking / baking challenge||25||See above for detailed instructions!|
|Team collaboration song video||25||See above for detailed instructions!|
Thank you to those of you who attended / called into our 1st PTO meeting of the year!
Opening – Welcome / Prayer / Board Intros
- Kate Smith: President
- Diana McLaughlin: Social Chair
- Lauren Maines: Communications Coordinator
- Melissa Wray: Room Parent Coordinator
PTO Small Fundraisers
SchoolStore – Magazines, gift cards, and other unique items available for purchase. There are some very cute Christmas gifts available!
* Update: $3,000 in gift cards have been purchased for teachers already!
Amazon Smile – Select MCS, the school gets a percentage of the purchase price at no cost to you. Tell your friends & family!!
Stop & Shop Rewards – Register your rewards card for A+ points, the school gets a percentage at no cost to you. Tell your friends & family!!
Box Tops – We are still collecting physical box tops, but they are being phased out over time. Please download the app that allows you to scan your receipt for qualifying purchases.
* We are looking for a new Box Top Coordinator *
- Saturday October 19th from 6:00p – 9:00p at MCS
- Family fun event: $5/pp, $15/family maximum
- Schedule of events (subject to change):
- 6:00 – 7:00: “Trunk or Treating” in front parking lot
- 6:30: Inside activities start (Haunted hallway, games, crafts)
- 6:30 – 7:30: Haunted Hallway for Little Angels through grade 4
- Short break for actors/volunteers
- 8:00 – 9:00: Haunted Hallway resumes for 5th grade and up
- Donations will be accepted for candy, water, juice, etc. shortly with each class assigned a needed item
- Adult volunteers needed for various areas (registration, crafts, hallway, clean up etc.)
- Middle school volunteers needed and will receive service hours; see Cassie Barbato, Martha Whittier or email the PTO if interested
Next planning meeting – Monday, September 30th @ 7:00pm
Christmas Festival update
- Family event open to the public set for Sunday, December 15th
- Change of date due to the way the calendar falls this year (December 1st is on Thanksgiving weekend, the 8th is a Holy Day, and local competing activities on other possible dates)
- Michelle Main is our new festival chair
- 37 vendors signed up; please see Audrey Scott or email the PTO if you know of anyone interested in having a booth
- Discussion on baskets and bake sale to be held at planning meeting
Next planning meeting – Thursday, October 10th @ 6:00pm
- Saturday, October 26th, 6:30pm – 9:00pm – MIDDLE SCHOOL ONLY Clark Farms event (bring flashlight for corn maze). Cider, cocoa and s’mores will be available in addition to plenty of fun activities. More info to come
- Sunday, October 27th, 1:00pm – 4:00pm – ALL AGES Clark Farms Family Fun Day (discounted price for admission includes corn maze, kernel pit, corn cannon, slide, animals, and pedal carts). More info to come
- Saturday, November 2nd – date set for Parents Night Out. Adult only activity: some ideas are bowling, batting cages, Escape Room – see Diana McLaughlin or email the PTO with ideas and suggestions!
- Friday, November 15th – Father (or bring someone special) / son event. Dodgeball, pizza at MCS; volunteers needed – see Mike Smith or email the PTO
- Friday, November 22nd – Free family game night, set up by 8th grader, Marco Petteruti for his service project. Gamewrite will come in and set up games for families to play; games are then available for purchase with some of the proceeds going to school / charity. Teachers can make wish lists for classroom purchases. More info to come
School administrative update (Dr. Lisi / Sara Marshall)
- State of the School Meeting set for Thursday, November 21st. Finances, upcoming events and other information will be provided
- MCS now has its own bus! See Dr. Lisi if you’re interested in being a driver
- Enrollment is doing well; our goal was 245, we are at 244 with Sara still actively conducing tours
- Due to increase in middle school enrollment, all grades (6th, 7th, 8th) have two sections and new classes have been added
- Adopt a Classroom campaign is going very well – classrooms can be adopted more than once!
- Dr. Lisi and Sara met with 67 new students and had them complete new student surveys (grades 3rd – 8th). Data will be shared, there was a lot of positive feedback re: students, teachers, learning
- We are working with URI to house interns in various areas, including Little Angels
- Taste and Sea event – discussion on changes made (moving event inside, mobile bidding); attendance was down, potentially looking at offsite venue for next year; see Sara if interested in volunteering
- Sara is working with a Maryland-based company to produce an online video tour to help spread the school’s message and reach new families. Sara is asking for PTO support – PTO needs financial information
- Other PTO requests – sound system for the gym; playground expansion / improvements, including asphalt area for 4-square and basketball hoop in elementary area, additional basketball hoop and paint striping for court in middle school area. PTO need financial information
- Discussion help about continuous improvements to back fence (needs repair) and brush clearing efforts. If any parents have fencing connections, please see Dr. Lisi!!
- Golf committee chair needed! Please email the PTO if interested
- This is the last year for the current PTO board. Please consider volunteering for next year’s board… feel free to ask any board members what is involved!
- Watch for the next PTO meeting (to be scheduled soon) in November!
We welcome feedback at any time!
Please email us with questions, comments and ideas!
Save These Dates!
- September 26th – PTO Meeting 7p – 8p
- September 29th – Friends of the Poor Walk with MCS Cares | Learn More | MCS Team Page
- October 19th – Halloween Spooktacular
- December 15th – MCS Christmas Festival
- Weekend of October 25th – Family Day at Clark Farms, including a special middle school event
- November 2nd – Parents Night Out (PNO)
- November 15th – Father / Son Event
PTO Meeting Rules of Engagement
We know that everyone’s time is precious, so we are committed to running an efficient and effective PTO meeting – they will not be more than an hour!!
Please send us items by September 20th you would like to discuss and we will put together an agenda with time slots for each item and share the agenda prior to the meeting. If we cannot completely cover a topic in the allotted time, we will do one of the following:
- Agree to table the item until the next PTO meeting
- Schedule a special meeting if the topic is critical
- Assign a subcommittee to further investigate the topic and report back to the PTO
Ways to Help Raise $$ for MCS
Please take a look through the packet that will be coming home the week of September 16th to see how you can help… your kids can win some cool prizes, too!
Stop & Shop Rewards
Box Tops is going digital!! Install the app and scan your receipt!! No more clipping!! It’s SO EASY to do!!! You can also see how much we are raising for the school in real time!
Also, Box Tops is running a promotion where 5 schools will win 25,000 bonus box tops! Please enter MCS into the contest!
Connect with Catholic School Alumni
Join peers across the country in connecting with former classmates and schools to keep catholic education thriving.
Monsignor Matthew F. Clarke Catholic Regional School
5074 Tower Hill Road
Wakefield, RI 02879