Thank you to those of you who attended / called into our 1st PTO meeting of the year!
Opening – Welcome / Prayer / Board Intros
- Kate Smith: President
- Diana McLaughlin: Social Chair
- Lauren Maines: Communications Coordinator
- Melissa Wray: Room Parent Coordinator
PTO Small Fundraisers
SchoolStore – Magazines, gift cards, and other unique items available for purchase. There are some very cute Christmas gifts available!
* Update: $3,000 in gift cards have been purchased for teachers already!
Amazon Smile – Select MCS, the school gets a percentage of the purchase price at no cost to you. Tell your friends & family!!
Stop & Shop Rewards – Register your rewards card for A+ points, the school gets a percentage at no cost to you. Tell your friends & family!!
Box Tops – We are still collecting physical box tops, but they are being phased out over time. Please download the app that allows you to scan your receipt for qualifying purchases.
* We are looking for a new Box Top Coordinator *
- Saturday October 19th from 6:00p – 9:00p at MCS
- Family fun event: $5/pp, $15/family maximum
- Schedule of events (subject to change):
- 6:00 – 7:00: “Trunk or Treating” in front parking lot
- 6:30: Inside activities start (Haunted hallway, games, crafts)
- 6:30 – 7:30: Haunted Hallway for Little Angels through grade 4
- Short break for actors/volunteers
- 8:00 – 9:00: Haunted Hallway resumes for 5th grade and up
- Donations will be accepted for candy, water, juice, etc. shortly with each class assigned a needed item
- Adult volunteers needed for various areas (registration, crafts, hallway, clean up etc.)
- Middle school volunteers needed and will receive service hours; see Cassie Barbato, Martha Whittier or email the PTO if interested
Next planning meeting – Monday, September 30th @ 7:00pm
Christmas Festival update
- Family event open to the public set for Sunday, December 15th
- Change of date due to the way the calendar falls this year (December 1st is on Thanksgiving weekend, the 8th is a Holy Day, and local competing activities on other possible dates)
- Michelle Main is our new festival chair
- 37 vendors signed up; please see Audrey Scott or email the PTO if you know of anyone interested in having a booth
- Discussion on baskets and bake sale to be held at planning meeting
Next planning meeting – Thursday, October 10th @ 6:00pm
- Saturday, October 26th, 6:30pm – 9:00pm – MIDDLE SCHOOL ONLY Clark Farms event (bring flashlight for corn maze). Cider, cocoa and s’mores will be available in addition to plenty of fun activities. More info to come
- Sunday, October 27th, 1:00pm – 4:00pm – ALL AGES Clark Farms Family Fun Day (discounted price for admission includes corn maze, kernel pit, corn cannon, slide, animals, and pedal carts). More info to come
- Saturday, November 2nd – date set for Parents Night Out. Adult only activity: some ideas are bowling, batting cages, Escape Room – see Diana McLaughlin or email the PTO with ideas and suggestions!
- Friday, November 15th – Father (or bring someone special) / son event. Dodgeball, pizza at MCS; volunteers needed – see Mike Smith or email the PTO
- Friday, November 22nd – Free family game night, set up by 8th grader, Marco Petteruti for his service project. Gamewrite will come in and set up games for families to play; games are then available for purchase with some of the proceeds going to school / charity. Teachers can make wish lists for classroom purchases. More info to come
School administrative update (Dr. Lisi / Sara Marshall)
- State of the School Meeting set for Thursday, November 21st. Finances, upcoming events and other information will be provided
- MCS now has its own bus! See Dr. Lisi if you’re interested in being a driver
- Enrollment is doing well; our goal was 245, we are at 244 with Sara still actively conducing tours
- Due to increase in middle school enrollment, all grades (6th, 7th, 8th) have two sections and new classes have been added
- Adopt a Classroom campaign is going very well – classrooms can be adopted more than once!
- Dr. Lisi and Sara met with 67 new students and had them complete new student surveys (grades 3rd – 8th). Data will be shared, there was a lot of positive feedback re: students, teachers, learning
- We are working with URI to house interns in various areas, including Little Angels
- Taste and Sea event – discussion on changes made (moving event inside, mobile bidding); attendance was down, potentially looking at offsite venue for next year; see Sara if interested in volunteering
- Sara is working with a Maryland-based company to produce an online video tour to help spread the school’s message and reach new families. Sara is asking for PTO support – PTO needs financial information
- Other PTO requests – sound system for the gym; playground expansion / improvements, including asphalt area for 4-square and basketball hoop in elementary area, additional basketball hoop and paint striping for court in middle school area. PTO need financial information
- Discussion help about continuous improvements to back fence (needs repair) and brush clearing efforts. If any parents have fencing connections, please see Dr. Lisi!!
- Golf committee chair needed! Please email the PTO if interested
- This is the last year for the current PTO board. Please consider volunteering for next year’s board… feel free to ask any board members what is involved!
- Watch for the next PTO meeting (to be scheduled soon) in November!