Monsignor Matthew F. Clarke Catholic Regional School was established in April, 1966, to serve the parishes of St. Francis of Assisi in Wakefield, St. Thomas More in Narragansett and St. Mary Star of the Sea in Narragansett. The School Sisters of Notre Dame, later followed by the Sisters of the Cross and Passion, staffed the school which housed students in kindergarten through grade 8.
The school was named after Msgr. Matthew F. Clarke who was born on September 28, 1883 in County Cavan, Ireland. He immigrated to the United States in 1899 and graduated from LaSalle Academy in 1904. He attended Our Lady of the Angels in Niagara, NY before entering the Seminary in Baltimore, MD. He served at various parishes throughout the state and was named Vicar General of the Diocese of Providence in June, 1957. Msgr. Matthew F. Clarke died on December 2, 1964.
In 1987, the school added a preschool/prekindergarten program for 3-, 4-, and 5-year-olds which continues to be tremendously successful.
In 2004, a new wing was planned to accommodate an expanding school population and better serve the academic needs of all students. It included a dedicated computer lab, visual arts room and science lab and middle school classrooms. In 2005, another wing opened, and housed a gymnasium with a regulation size basketball court, bleachers and a stage for performing arts.
In 2014, MCS was the first in New England to incorporate LabLearner™, a state-of –the-art, highly acclaimed, inquiry-based science curriculum for students in pre-K through grade 8. The program stems from research out of Penn State Medical School, and features professional grade science equipment, a spiraling science curriculum aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards, and best practices in metacognition and practical laboratory skills.
MCS now serves families from eleven parishes in our continued commitment to serve God and others through the spiritual, moral and academic development of our students.